It’s winter – time to dig out your oversized woolly jumper, curl up in your favourite armchair and warm your hands around a big mug of chai.
But not all chai is created equal – some cafes use powders or syrups, which tend to be sweeter and less beneficial. Here at Collombatti Naturals, we blend our favourite kind – loose leaf chai made from black tea and a combo of natural spices. The good stuff contains cardamom, black pepper, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, star anise, fennel, nutmeg, turmeric and saffron, among other herbs and spices.
There’s nothing like the aroma of a chai on a cold winter’s day, but aside from satisfying your senses, what other health benefits do you get from a steaming mug of tea?
Here are 8 reasons to reach for a brew:
1. It’s got longevity. Chai is very old. People from ancient India first drank it as an ayurvedic remedy for cleansing the body. Before black tea from China was introduced into the mix, chai was mainly made from herbs and spices.
2. It will help you to relax. Black tea contains an amino acid called l-theanine. Some studies suggest that l-theanine helps to reduce stress and anxiety. Others say it could help you focus as it contains a moderate amount of caffeine, making chai an energising alternative to a morning coffee.
3. It’s good for your heart. Black tea is good for heart health and lowers your cholesterol because it contains flavonoids, a group of antioxidants.
4. It may keep the doctor away. The antioxidants in tea and spices could help to boost your immune system – essential for the winter months ahead.
5. It aids digestion. Chai contains ginger, possibly one of the best spices for promoting gut health. It can also ease nausea – a reason some women find it helpful for alleviating morning sickness in the early stages of pregnancy.6. Smile! Cloves have been used in dentistry for centuries because they contain eugenol, an antibacterial compound. Not only does it help to reduce oral bacteria, it’s also helpful for numbing the pain of toothache.
7. It’s an ancient social ritual. Aside from the health benefits of chai, there are numerous social benefits. Many countries have a tea ritual for greeting new and old friends. By making a cup of tea, you are carrying on an ancient social tradition.
8. It’s mindful. Making a pot of tea for yourself or others can be an act of mindfulness. Concentrating fully on the movements, smells and sounds of brewing your perfect cup of tea can be calming in stressful times.
Here at Collombatti, we care deeply about our tea. Each packet is made on the premises and is made of natural ingredients. We believe using natural products, with no added nasties, offers health and wellness benefits.
Our chai supports your health and wellness choices and has the least impact on the earth. We pack and post in eco-friendly, plastic-free packaging.
Take a look at our range of chai here and get ready for the winter months ahead.
Disclaimer: This article is for informational purposes only. It is not intended to replace medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. No two people are the same, and each person may react differently to herbs and teas. Never use herbs or teas to treat serious medical conditions on your own. Always seek professional medical advice before choosing home remedies.